To Schedule an appointment, call (205) 348-1220
Services provided by the Department of Pediatrics include inpatient and outpatient pediatric medical care, research studies, and consultative services concerning child health and welfare in Tuscaloosa county, West Alabama, and throughout the state. Some of the services provided by the Pediatric Clinic at the University Medical Center are listed as follows:
- General Pediatric Clinic: Patients are seen in the Pediatric Clinic Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5 PM. Care is provided under the direct supervision of professional staff, which includes four board certified pediatricians and a nurse practitioner, all of whom are faculty of The University of Alabama School of Medicine, Tuscaloosa Campus. This provides a source of comprehensive outpatient medical care for a variety of children from all over West Alabama, many of whom have complicated medical problems. It also serves as a primary teaching experience for medical students and family medicine residents. Many of our former residents and students are currently practicing in Tuscaloosa, surrounding counties, and across the state servicing a number of Alabama’s children.
- ADHD Clinic: The University of Alabama’s ADHD Multidisciplinary Clinic began operations on February 1, 1999. The ADHD Clinic is a collaborative project involving the Pediatric and Psychiatry Departments of The University of Alabama School of Medicine, Tuscaloosa Campus, and the Schools of Social Work and Psychology for The University of Alabama. The clinic meets on Monday afternoons each week throughout the year serving children from 6 to 18 years of age.
- Perinatal High-Risk Follow-up Clinic: This is a multispecialty clinic involving Pediatrics, social services, physical therapy, occupational therapy, developmental and hearing specialists, and nutritional services. The patients seen are graduates from regional high risk nurseries and include a number of medically fragile children.
- West Alabama Child Medical Evaluation Center: This is a forensic pediatric clinic for medical assessment of children who have come to the attention of local authorities as potential victims of child abuse. Patients seen in this clinic are scheduled through the Department of Human Resources for the county in which they reside.
- Regional Outreach Clinics: The Regional Sickle Cell Clinic meets regularly each year bringing a team of services from The Children’s Hospital of Alabama including a pediatric hematologist to the University Medical Center to service children from across West Alabama with sickle cell disease. Appointments for new patients are scheduled through the patient’s primary care provider by calling the UAB Pediatric Hematology Office at (205) 939-9285. The Pediatric Surgery Clinic meets the 2nd and 4th Friday mornings each month and are attended by William Hardin, M.D. Appointments are scheduled through referring physician offices by calling the UAB Department of Pediatric Surgery at (205) 939-9688.