The UAB School of Medicine has established a four-year MD program for students interested in primary care careers. The Primary Care Track, based at the Tuscaloosa Regional Campus of the School of Medicine, is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in clinical medicine through longitudinal experiences with patients, lasting relationships with mentoring physicians, and special programming on population health and physician leadership skills.
The Primary Care Track offers:
- A student-centered curriculum
- Low faculty-student ratios (often 1:1) and excellent clinical training in a community setting
- Preparation for careers in primary care fields (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics) and community-based Obstetrics and Gynecology, Neurology, Psychiatry, General Surgery, and other subspecialties
- Personal and professional development with a highly visible and accessible student support team
Applications should be submitted through The American Medical College Application Service, an application service run by the Association of American Medical Colleges, through which prospective medical students apply to medical school in the United States. Once the initial application has been processed, applicants will be asked to submit a Primary Care Track specific secondary application. Students must submit a Primary Care Track application to be considered for the program. The Primary Care Track is located on the UAB School of Medicine’s Tuscaloosa Campus.
Students applying for the Primary Care Track:
- Must meet all minimum requirements of the regular admission program
- Must have a demonstrated interest in and intent to practice primary care
Students selected for interviews will interview with theUAB School of Medicine Admissions Committee in Birmingham and spend a half day in Tuscaloosa learning about the regional campus, talking with students, and meeting with members of the Primary Care Track Admissions Advisory Committee.
Students not selected for the Primary Care Track may choose to have their application considered for regular admissions.