The Rural Health Scholars Program was founded to encourage high school students to consider careers in medicine and health professions while experiencing college firsthand. This is one of the programs in the Rural Health Leaders Pipeline.
- Current junior in high school
- Have a B average or 3.0 GPA or higher
- Taken the ACT (minimum score of 21, but those with at least a 20 are encouraged to apply) or SAT (minimum score of 1080)
- Reside in a rural Alabama community for at least five years
- Have an interest in health care with a desire to return to rural Alabama
Participants are selected based on their interests, motivation and personal qualities most suited for becoming future physicians and other health professionals in a rural community. For this reason, applicants are asked for at least two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the student’s academic record.
For your convenience, we created a digital application below. If you would prefer, you may still download, complete, and mail a printed application to us prior to the deadline.
If you have questions about this application or the Rural Health Scholars Program, please contact Cynthia Moore (firstname.lastname@example.org, 205-348-3116) or Bonnie Pennington (email@example.com, 205-348-5892). We will be in contact with you as your application is reviewed and final selections are made. You should know your status by May 1st.