Welcome to the Obstetrics and Gynecology for the University of Alabama School of Medicine in Tuscaloosa. These pages are a reference to our programs, faculty and staff and facilities.
The Tuscaloosa Campus has an Obstetrics and Gynecology Clerkship for third year medical students as well as rotations, electives and acting internships for senior students. The Department also trains Family Medicine residents in Obstetrics and Gynecology as part of one of the largest and oldest family medicine residencies in the country.
Senior OB/GYN residents from UAB rotate through the Gynecologic Surgery Service at Tuscaloosa.
The mission of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is:
- To educate and train our Family Medicine residents in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology so that they are better prepared to manage the health and welfare of women.
- To educate and train our medical students in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- To educate and train Family Medicine physicians through our Obstetrics Fellowship Program to provide obstetrical care to pregnant women in rural Alabama.
OBSTETRICS FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
This department also has one of the nation’s first obstetrics fellowships for Family Medicine residents who wish to have additional training in obstetrics in anticipation of providing obstetrical care as part of their practice. This fellowship is a founding member of the Board of Certification for Family Practice Obstetrics.
Services provided by the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology include inpatient and outpatient obstetrical and gynecological care. Consultation services concerning maternal healthcare in West Alabama and outlying rural communities are available. Faculty and staff see patients Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Obstetrics and Gynecology faculty are board certified in obstetrics and gynecology. Family Medicine faculty are board certified in family medicine.
- Obstetrics Clinic for low-risk pregnancies
- Gynecology Clinic including annual well woman visits, family planning, gynecologic problems, infertility and surgery
- High Risk Obstetrics Clinic for complicated pregnancies
- Colposcopy Clinic
- Private Attending OB/GYN Clinics
- OB/GYN Consultation for Faculty & Staff Clinic
- OB/GYN Consultation for Student Health Services
- Outlying Clinic OB/GYN Services at New Women’s
- Health Clinic in Tuscaloosa
- Outlying Clinic OB/GYN Services in Winfield, Alabama
- Inpatient OB/GYN Services at DCH Regional Medical Center
- Outpatient OB/GYN Services at Northwest Medical Center in Winfield, Alabama