Our mission is to deliver outstanding health care and to educate UA students about healthier living.
To be the number one choice for UA students for their health care and their wellness education.
The first known history of student health services at The University of Alabama was from 1887 to 1908 when the student infirmary was located in the Gorgas House. During the 1920s, UA President George H. Denny donated a lot on campus to the city of Tuscaloosa to build Druid City Hospital, then located near Russell Hall. The hospital was acquired by the University at the beginning of World War II and served as a student infirmary with 45 beds until 1968.
In 1968, during the Frank A. Rose UA presidency, Russell Hall was designed to serve as the Student Health Center on campus. Named for University trustee Thomas D. Russell and his wife Julia W. Russell, Russell Hall had 52 beds and a staff of 65, including 10 physicians, 17 nurses, two pharmacists and two dieticians.
Russell Hall served as the Student Health Center until 2006 when the architectural firm of Sherlock, Smith & Adams built the current Student Health Center location and adjoining University Medical Center on Peter Bryce Boulevard. In 2022, the Student Health Center and Pharmacy expanded to include 33 exam rooms, four treatment rooms, two observation rooms, three nurses stations and 65 full-time staff members.
The University of Alabama: A Pictorial History by Suzanne Rau Wolfe, University of Alabama Press, 1983
History of the University of Alabama, volume II, 1902-1952 by James Benson Sellers, revised and edited by W. Stanley Hoole, unpublished manuscript in The William Stanley Hoole Papers, The W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library (Ready Reference Section)
The University of Alabama: A Guide to the Campus and Its Architecture, by Robert Mellown, 2013